US attack on Venezuela was carried out by the CIA in port and targeted Trem de Aragua, says newspaper

by Marcelo Moreira

US makes 1st attack against Venezuela The first attack by US forces inside Venezuela was conducted by the CIA, the US Central Intelligence Agency, and targeted a port allegedly used by drug traffickers, according to a report in “The New York Times” based on US government sources. ✅ Follow the g1 international news channel on WhatsApp 👉 The attack, according to Washington, took place last week, but was only announced on Monday (29) by the President of the United States, Donald Trump (read more below). Trump, however, did not detail either the target of the offensive or who carried it out. According to sources heard by The New York Times, the action took place in a port in Venezuelan territory that Washington says it believes is one of the bases of operations for the Trem de Aragua gang. There, the group stocked narcotics and prepared boats to take the drugs to the United States, according to sources from the North American newspaper. Still according to the report, no one died in the US offensive. Donald Trump’s government had not yet confirmed the information until the last update of this report. United States attack increases pressure on Venezuela. Reproduction/TV Globo Trump announced on Monday (29) that American forces attacked a facility used by drug trafficking in Venezuela. When questioned by journalists, Trump said there was “a big explosion in the dock area where they load the boats with drugs.” According to him, the area “no longer exists”. He did not answer whether the United States intends to carry out new attacks against the country. Trump also stated only that the attack occurred along the Venezuelan coast, without specifying the location. The North American president had already mentioned the operation on Friday (26), during an interview with WABC radio in New York, but without confirming the location of the attack. At the time, the statement went almost unnoticed. On Sunday (28), The New York Times reported that members of the American government said that Trump was referring to a facility used by drug traffickers in Venezuela. Official confirmation only came this Monday, after questions from the press. In the WABC interview, Trump said the United States had hit “a big factory or a big facility where boats leave” and said the site had been “eliminated” two days earlier. He did not give details about the operation or directly mention Venezuela at that time. Until then, the Trump administration had only publicized actions in the open sea against speedboats allegedly used by drug traffickers, in addition to the seizure of oil tankers linked to the Venezuelan regime. This is the first confirmed attack on Venezuelan territory since the beginning of the US pressure campaign against the government of Nicolás Maduro, which included the movement of fighter jets, warships and an aircraft carrier in the Caribbean. Until the last update of this report, the Pentagon had not commented on the attack. The Venezuelan government also did not comment on the action. READ ALSO ‘Donroe’ Doctrine, aggressive campaign, closed doors to immigrants: what will the Trump administration be like in 2026? ‘I covered 40 wars and I have never seen a year as worrying as 2025’ Russia says Ukraine tried to attack Putin’s house with drones and promises to fight back; Zelensky denies pressured Maduro Nicolás Maduro speaks during a demonstration in Venezuela Stringer/AFP In November, the international press reported that the United States was about to begin a new phase of operations related to Venezuela. At the time, two US officials told Reuters that covert operations would likely be the first step in new actions against Maduro. Pressure against the Venezuelan regime began in August, when the US raised the reward to US$50 million for information leading to the arrest of the Venezuelan president. In the same month, the American government sent a strong military apparatus to the Caribbean Sea. At the beginning of the operation, the White House stated that military reinforcement in the region was part of an effort to combat international drug trafficking. Over time, authorities began to say, anonymously, that the ultimate objective of the action would be to overthrow Maduro’s government. Trump and the Venezuelan president even spoke by phone in November. However, according to the American press, the contacts ended without progress, as Maduro had shown resistance to leaving power. Furthermore, according to The New York Times, the United States is interested in taking control of Venezuela’s oil reserves, considered the largest in the world. In recent weeks, the American military has seized oil tankers from Venezuela. Trump also ordered a blockade of vessels targeted by sanctions and accused Maduro of stealing from the US. VIDEOS: most watched on g1

Source link

You may also like

Leave a Comment

Este site usa cookies para melhorar a sua experiência. Presumimos que você concorda com isso, mas você pode optar por não participar se desejar Aceitar Leia Mais

Privacy & Cookies Policy

Adblock Detected

Please support us by disabling your AdBlocker extension from your browsers for our website.