New York hospital ends transgender treatment program for minors | New York

by Marcelo Moreira

NYU Langone Health, one of New York City’s major hospital networks, announced this week that it will shut down its gender‑affirming care program for minors, as the Trump administration escalates threats to strip federal funding from providers that treat trans youth.

In a statement to the Guardian, spokesperson Steve Ritea said that “given the recent departure of our medical director, coupled with the current regulatory environment, we made the difficult decision to discontinue our Transgender Youth Health Program.” He added that the hospital’s pediatric mental health services will continue.

The move comes after months of sustained pressure from the administration, including an executive order signed shortly after Trump returned to office declaring that the federal government will not “fund, sponsor, promote, assist, or support the so‑called ‘transition’ of a child from one sex to another”.

NYU Langone reportedly began cancelling appointments for minors soon after the order was issued. New York’s attorney general, Letitia James, directed the hospital to resume care, warning that the network risked violating state anti‑discrimination laws. A federal judge later issued a temporary restraining order blocking the administration’s directive from taking effect.

In December, however, the Department of Health and Human Services proposed a rule that would withhold Medicare and Medicaid funding from hospitals providing “sex‑rejecting procedures for children under 18”. STAT news reported earlier this month that more than 40 hospitals across the country have paused or ceased to offer some type of gender-affirming care to young people since Trump returned to office.

Gender‑affirming care is endorsed by major US and international medical associations, including the American Academy of Pediatrics. Treatments such as puberty blockers are reversible, and surgery for minors is rare. Providers emphasize that care plans follow extensive evaluations and involve families throughout.

Local officials and advocacy groups condemned NYU Langone’s decision, arguing the hospital is capitulating to threats to cut federal funds. Manhattan borough president Brad Hoylman-Sigal said the closure would “jeopardize the lives and well‑being of their patients”.

“Studies have shown that ending gender‑affirming care after it has begun without patient consent can carry significant physical and mental health risks,” he said. “For these young patients, gender‑affirming care is life‑affirming care.” A rally in support of trans youth is planned for Wednesday evening outside the Stonewall national monument in Manhattan.

In response, the White House welcomed the news on Wednesday. “President Trump pledged to restore common sense and put a stop to unscientific and irreversible child mutilation procedures,” spokesperson Kush Desai told the Guardian. “The Trump administration is delivering.”

Source link

You may also like

Leave a Comment

Este site usa cookies para melhorar a sua experiência. Presumimos que você concorda com isso, mas você pode optar por não participar se desejar Aceitar Leia Mais

Privacy & Cookies Policy

Adblock Detected

Please support us by disabling your AdBlocker extension from your browsers for our website.