Supreme Court decision to strike down tariffs is a shame, says Trump

by Marcelo Moreira


President Donald Trump visits a vehicle assembly plant on January 13, 2026 REUTERS/Evelyn Hockstein The President of the United States, Donald Trump, said that the US Supreme Court decision that overturned the import tariffs imposed by him is “a shame”. He would also have highlighted that he already has “a plan B” to maintain tariffs on imported products. According to information from Reuters, the statements were made after the decision was announced, during a meeting with state governors. 🗒️ Do you have any reporting suggestions? Send to g1 This Friday (20), the majority of the US Supreme Court ruled that Trump exceeded his authority by imposing a broad increase in tariffs on imports from almost all of the country’s trading partners, highlighting that the law used as the basis for the measure “does not authorize the president to impose tariffs”. In an opinion released after the decision, the president of the Supreme Court, John Roberts, stated that Trump would need to have “clear authorization from Congress” to justify the imposition of tariffs, which did not occur. See the trending videos on g1 See the videos that are trending on g1 In practice, the Supreme Court’s decision overturns the so-called “reciprocal tariffs” of 10% or more, applied since April 2025 to most US trading partners based on IEEPA. The decision affects most reciprocal tariffs, but other tariffs imposed by the president — such as those applied to steel, aluminum and fentanyl — remain in effect. Trump’s legal battle with US courts has been ongoing since last year. In August 2025, the president criticized the appeals court decision, which declared most of the tariffs he imposed illegal. At the time, the court ordered that the tariffs remain in effect until October 14, giving the Trump administration the opportunity to appeal to the Supreme Court. When the case was taken to the higher court, the tariffs remained in effect. Trump said the appeals court — which he called “highly partisan” — was wrong to suspend the tariffs. He added that, “with the help of the U.S. Supreme Court,” he intends to maintain the tariffs. “If this decision were to stand, it would literally destroy the United States. (…) We must all remember that TARIFF is the best tool to help our workers and support companies that produce excellent products MADE IN THE USA,” he published in Truth Social. What happens now? With the decision, Donald Trump’s business strategy could undergo significant changes. The measures applied based on this law have been invalidated, but there are still other legal ways to impose tariffs. (see here) Specific tariffs on steel and aluminum imports, including Brazilian products, are not affected by the decision, as they were applied based on Section 232 of the Trade Expansion Act of 1962, aimed at national security. Finally, the American government may also be forced to return part of the billions raised from import tariffs. According to economists at the Penn-Wharton Budget Model, this value could exceed US$175 billion (around R$912.5 billion). READ MORE What are the next steps and how the decision could affect Brazil Remember the judicialization of the case that reached the Supreme Court Decision could force the US to return up to US$175 billion *With information from the news agency Reuters

Source link

You may also like

Leave a Comment

Este site usa cookies para melhorar a sua experiência. Presumimos que você concorda com isso, mas você pode optar por não participar se desejar Aceitar Leia Mais

Privacy & Cookies Policy

Adblock Detected

Please support us by disabling your AdBlocker extension from your browsers for our website.