Former Prince Andrew leaves police station after arrest Former Prince Andrew, brother of King Charles III, was released this Thursday (19) after being arrested on suspicion of misconduct in public office. He was photographed by Reuters in the back seat of a car, with his hands crossed, as he left a police station in the United Kingdom. ✅ Follow the g1 international news channel on WhatsApp Andrew remained detained for around 11 hours. Local authorities said the former prince “has been released while investigations continue.” The former prince was arrested a week after British authorities opened an investigation into whether Andrew sent confidential reports to Jeffrey Epstein while serving as the United Kingdom’s special representative for International Trade. Epstein was an American financier accused of running a network of sexual abuse of minors. He died in prison in 2019. Case files released by the US Department of Justice since December name Andrew several times. Among the materials, there are photos in which he appears kneeling next to a woman with her face censored. Andrew was also accused of sexual assault by Virginia Giuffre, a central witness in the Epstein case, when she was still a minor. Giuffre took her own life in Australia in April 2025. She died at the age of 41. The former prince denies all accusations, both those related to sending confidential information and sexual assault. Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor arrested after leaving Aylsham police station in Norfolk REUTERS/Phil Noble Police said they carried out searches at two addresses linked to the former prince: one in Berkshire, west of London, and the other in Norfolk, east of England. Local agents confirmed support for the operations. “After a thorough assessment, we have opened an investigation into this allegation of misconduct in public office. It is important to protect the integrity and objectivity of the investigation as we work with our partners,” said Deputy Chief of Police Oliver Wright. During the morning, Thames Valley Police said they had arrested a man in his 60s with “reasonable grounds to suspect that a crime had occurred”. The suspect’s name was not officially released, on the grounds of protecting the prisoner’s identity. The BBC later published a report claiming that the person arrested was the former Prince Andrew. The information also ended up being confirmed by the British royal family. In a statement, King Charles III said he received the news “with concern”, but declared that the police have the support of the royal family and that “the law must take its course”. According to the BBC, the monarch was not warned in advance about the arrest. Prince William and Princess Kate also support the king’s position, according to the royal press service. Also according to the BBC, if the former prince is found guilty of misconduct in public office, he could be sentenced to life in prison. MORE pressure New Epstein files show former English prince Andrew kneeling next to woman US DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE/AFP The ties between Andrew and Epstein, revealed by case files released in the United States, have put the British royal family under pressure. Prince William and Princess Kate said last week they are “deeply concerned” by the revelations. In October last year, Andrew was stripped of all royal titles by decision of King Charles III, following new revelations about his friendship with Epstein. He was also “kicked out” of his official residence in Windsor and moved to a country house in Sandringham. British police opened investigations after revelations in the case came to light and pointed to possible connections with the United Kingdom. Authorities this week asked witnesses to report cases of trafficking in women. VIDEOS: most watched on g1
Source link
Former Prince Andrew released after arrest on suspicion of misconduct in UK
21
