Crystal Palace have decided against sacking Oliver Glasner despite his latest public outburst on Friday when the manager said he was “just not good enough” to turn around the club’s fortunes.
Glasner has announced he will leave Palace at the end of the season, but the club’s chair, Steve Parish, considered bringing forward the Austrian’s departure after supporters turned on the manager during Thursday’s 1-1 draw at Zrinjski Mostar in the Conference League. Parish is believed to have been disappointed with Glasner’s reaction in Friday’s press conference to preview Sunday’s home game against Wolves when the 51-year-old said he was unsure whether he would see out the season.
However, Parish has decided against making an immediate change given the importance of the match against the Premier League’s bottom side with Palace still not clear of relegation trouble and the second leg of their Conference League playoff to come on Thursday.
Quick Guide
How do I sign up for sport breaking news alerts?
Show
Download the Guardian app from the iOS App Store on iPhone or the Google Play store on Android by searching for ‘The Guardian’.
If you already have the Guardian app, make sure you’re on the most recent version.
In the Guardian app, tap the Profile settings button at the top right, then select Notifications.
Turn on sport notifications.
Another issue is believed to be their reluctance to pay off the remainder of his contract, which is thought to be worth nearly £2m and expires at the end of the season, should he depart early. It remains to be seen whether Glasner – who said “maybe I would sing the same” when asked about fans chanting “you’re getting sacked in the morning” in Bosnia and Herzegovina – sees out the campaign given the animosity towards him after a run of one win in 15 games in all competitions.
“Let’s see what the future brings,” he said on Friday. “You never know. I’m always realistic and we’re not in the best moment. I understand and I take responsibility for everything because I’m responsible for the whole team.
“Right now, I’m just not good enough to replace the players we sold. I’m just not good enough to integrate the new players in a way to play the same way like we did and I’m not good enough that we can cope with the schedule we had.”
Glasner, who led Palace to the FA Cup last season, their first major trophy, and secured the Community Shield, said: “It’s my responsibility to get the turnaround. I can’t expect [positivity] from the players if I’m not that way. But right now I just can’t do it because it’s how I feel.”
Thomas Frank, sacked by Tottenham last week, is believed to be a contender to take over in the summer. Palace would also be interested in Bournemouth’s Andoni Iraola, whose contract expires at end of June. The former Republic of Ireland forward Robbie Keane, who is managing Ferencvaros, and Rayo Vallecano’s Iñigo Pérez have also been mooted as potential replacements.
Palace have been given a £50,000 fine for a banner that appeared in the crowd at Selhurst Park in August, depicting the owner of Nottingham Forest, Evangelos Marinakis.
