Countries celebrate with discretion overturned by Trump tariffs

by Marcelo Moreira

The USA’s most important trading partners reacted with a discreet celebration of the Supreme Court’s decision, which this Friday (20) considered the tariffs applied by President Donald Trump to be illegal. Important commercial hubs, such as the European Union, declared that they are still trying to understand what the scenario looks like after the decision.

By a majority of 6 votes to 3, the US Supreme Court, which has a conservative majority, imposed one of the first major defeats on Trump in his second term.

SEE ALSO:

“We remain in close contact with the US government, seeking clarification on the measures they intend to take in response to the decision”, declared the deputy spokesperson for the European Commission, Olof Gill, after the decision was released, as quoted by the network Euronews.

Negotiated in July last year by Commission President Ursula von der Leyen and President Donald Trump, the bloc agreed to a general 15% tariff on EU exports, while at the same time reducing tariffs on US industrial products to zero, in an agreement seen as favorable to Washington. Europe has also committed to purchasing US$750 billion in US energy products by 2028 and investing US$600 billion in strategic sectors in the US.

Canada, the G7 country most affected by Trump’s tariffs, celebrated the decision of the highest American court. Minister Dominic LeBlanc, responsible for trade relations with the US, said on social media that “the US Supreme Court’s decision strengthens Canada’s position that US tariffs are unjustified.”

On the United Kingdom’s side, a British government spokesperson stated that the country will continue to work with the White House to understand how the decision will affect tariffs for the country and the rest of the world.

“This is a matter for the US to determine, but we will continue to support British companies as more details are announced,” said the spokesperson, quoted by CNBC. “The UK has the lowest reciprocal tariffs in the world and, in any scenario, we expect our privileged trading position with the US to be maintained,” he added.

Chamber of Commerce says the issue is “complex”

The International Chamber of Commerce said many companies would welcome the decision, given what they saw as “significant pressure” on balance sheets in recent months because of the decision.

“Businesses should not expect a simple process: the structure of US import procedures means that disputes are likely to be administratively complex. Today’s decision is worryingly silent on this issue, and clear guidance from the Court of International Trade and relevant US authorities will be essential to minimize avoidable costs and prevent litigation risks,” the ICC said, according to international agencies.

Source link

You may also like

Leave a Comment

Este site usa cookies para melhorar a sua experiência. Presumimos que você concorda com isso, mas você pode optar por não participar se desejar Aceitar Leia Mais

Privacy & Cookies Policy

Adblock Detected

Please support us by disabling your AdBlocker extension from your browsers for our website.