Aston Villa are targeting a late move for Lucas Paquetá, who could miss West Ham’s trip to Nottingham Forest on Sunday because of doubts over his future.
Paquetá is understood to be open to a transfer and is understood to have misgivings over playing at the City Ground. However, sources at West Ham are surprised at suggestions the midfielder is reluctant to appear for Graham Potter’s troubled side. There were no signs of Paquetá being unhappy in training and he has travelled with the rest of the squad.
Rumblings of discontent have emanated from those around Paquetá after West Ham’s poor start to the season. Tottenham expressed an interest in the 28-year-old this month and Villa have inquired about his situation. It remains to be seen if Villa, who have restrictions around the Premier League’s profitability and sustainability regulations, are able to meet West Ham’s £60m valuation.
West Ham have little desire to lose Paquetá, who became their record signing three years ago, before the window shuts on Monday night. They feel that he owes them after they stood by him before he was found innocent of breaching the Football Association’s betting regulations. West Ham are prepared to sell Paquetá next summer but doing so now would give them little time to find a suitable replacement.
However the situation sheds a light into the problems confronting Potter, who faces a battle to lift the mood in the dressing room. Nayef Aguerd is not expected to feature against Forest. The Morocco defender wants to leave West Ham and is a target for Sunderland and Marseille. West Ham are looking at Toulouse’s Charlie Cresswell and Southampton’s Taylor Harwood-Bellis as possible replacements for Aguerd.
There could be several departures from West Ham during the final two days of the window. Emerson Palmieri is joining Marseille. Guido Rodríguez is a target for Espanyol, Tomas Soucek has interest from Everton and Wrexham are trying to sign Andy Irving.
West Ham, who have lost their first two league games and crashed out of the Carabao Cup, had lifted the mood on Friday by strengthening their midfield with the signings of Mateus Fernandes and Soungoutou Magassa. Potter is looking to add lower the age of his squad and wants to alter the culture in the dressing room. Many of the players who want out are not in Potter’s long-term plans.
Newcastle have signed the German forward Nick Woltemade from Stuttgart in a club-record deal reportedly worth £69m. He was at Elland Road on Saturday to watch his new team play Leeds.
The 23-year-old’s deal eclipses the £63m Newcastle paid for Alexander Isak three years ago when the Sweden striker, now wanted by Liverpool, became the club’s most expensive player.
Woltemade came through Werder Bremen’s academy and became their youngest Bundesliga debutant in 2020 at the age of 17. He joined Stuttgart last year and scored 17 goals in 33 appearances across all competitions
Eddie Howe, the Newcastle manager, said: “We are delighted to get Nick’s signing over the line so quickly. He fits the profile for exactly what we have been looking for to add to our attacking options.
“He’s strong in a lot of areas – he has great technical ability and has proven himself to be a real threat in one of Europe’s top leagues – but he’s also still at an age where he has plenty of room to develop and grow here.“
Capped twice by Germany, the 1.98-metre forward has been called up for the World Cup qualifiers against Slovakia and Northern Ireland in September. “It’s a big step in my life to leave Germany but everybody has welcomed me so well and it already feels like family,” Woltemade said.
after newsletter promotion
“I have a really good feeling from speaking to the head coach that this is the right place for me to find my best level … From the first contact, I felt like the club really wanted me and had big plans for me.”
Nottingham Forest have signed the defender Nicolò Savona from Juventus on a five-year deal. The 22-year-old played 40 times for Juventus after making his debut in August 2024.
Savona, an Italy Under-21s international – who was called into the senior squad last November – told the Forest website: “I am very excited to be here. It is a new experience for me as a person and a player. It is such a historic club and the move is a dream come true.”
Fulham have confirmed the Brazil midfielder Andreas Pereira has joined Palm trees.
The former Manchester United player’s switch to the Brazilian side ends a three-year stay at Craven Cottage, where he made 119 appearances for the club.
He told the Fulham website: “From the first day at Fulham, I felt at home. Thank you to my teammates, staff, and fans for every moment. After three years, I leave proud of what we achieved together. Fulham will always be part of me.”
Aberdeen have completed the signing of 19-year-old Celtic left-back Mitchel Frame for an undisclosed fee. The Scotland Under-19 international, who played for the Hoops in a Champions League win over Feyenoord in 2023, has signed a four-year deal.