Felix Auger-Aliassime stormed into the last 16 of the US Open on Saturday night with a rousing comeback win over world No 3 Alexander Zverev, knocking out one of the title favorites 4-6, 7-6 (7), 6-4, 6-4 on Louis Armstrong Stadium.
The Canadian 25th seed had not reached the second week in New York since his semi-final run in 2021 but summoned some of the best tennis of his career to secure a first grand slam victory over a top-five opponent. The match stretched to three hours and 48 minutes and finished shortly before midnight, delaying the night session that followed.
“It feels really good,” said Auger-Aliassime. “I’m still young, but I’ve been working at this for years. Some people may have been watching me for the first time tonight, and to show that kind of tennis on this stage means a lot. The tournament isn’t over, the job’s not done, but nights like these keep me going.”
Zverev, the 2020 runner-up in New York and a semi-finalist at the Australian Open earlier this year, had looked in full control after breaking in the opening game and sealing the first set with ease. But once Auger-Aliassime edged a gruelling second-set tiebreak, saved from the brink by bold shotmaking and helped over the line by a net cord, momentum shifted decisively.
The German grew increasingly agitated as his groundstrokes misfired, slamming his racket after conceding an early break in the third set. Auger-Aliassime consolidated with clutch serving and forehand winners, keeping Zverev under pressure in extended rallies. When the Canadian broke to love midway through the fourth set, Armstrong’s packed crowd sensed the upset. He closed it out on serve, pumping his fist as Zverev trudged off to his earliest US Open exit since 2018.
For Auger-Aliassime, the result was a tonic after uneven seasons and recurring injuries. Once tipped as a future champion, he admitted that belief has been tested. “I’ve had ups and downs,” he said. “But you keep working, you keep believing. Tonight shows what’s possible.”
Zverev, still chasing a first grand slam crown at 28, leaves New York in the third round for the first time in seven years. His summer hard-court swing has faltered after a first-round defeat at Wimbledon, despite a strong spring that included another run to the Roland Garros quarter-finals.
Auger-Aliassime advances to a fourth-round meeting with Russia’s Andrey Rublev, the 15th seed, who earlier beat Hong Kong’s Coleman Wong Cameron Norrie in five sets. Rublev has never progressed beyond the quarter-final stage at a major in 10 tries, but has been consistent at this level, making the second week in New York for the sixth time.
Elsewhere in the men’s draw, Jannik Sinner, the world No 1 and one of the championship favorites, swept past Canada’s Denis Shapovalov in four sets to keep his title push intact.
On the women’s side, Iga Swiatek recovered from 5-1 down in the opening set to oust Anna Kalinskaya in two, extending her unbeaten streak at night sessions in New York. The match that followed on Armstrong, Maria Sakkari against Beatriz Haddad Maia, did not begin until 11.28pm because of the Auger-Aliassime–Zverev marathon.
The schedule strain again highlighted the ongoing debate over late-night finishes at grand slams. The US Open introduced a rule last year allowing referees to shift matches not begun by 11.15pm to outside courts, but with Armstrong already deep into play there was no realistic option.